Hey, hey, hey…I hope you all had a great weekend! We actually saw the sun for the first time in ages, and it was glorious. I think the entire Dallas metroplex rushed outside to enjoy it. I didn’t realize how much of my mood and attitude were tied to the weather, but those gray days were bringing me down! Obviously I won’t be moving to the Pacific Northwest anytime soon.
Our weather can literally change 30-degrees in a single day, so layers are key for staying comfortable. Plus, they have a way of making an outfit infinitely more stylish.
Here’s how the outfit comes together by layer…you can see how it just gets cuter with each piece. Puffer vests are my go-to layering piece, especially in transitional weather, and these quilted vests are my favorites. They’re the perfect weight and don’t add bulk.
Fit Tip: I’m wearing XS in everything.
Tips for Layering
- Use sleeveless shirts and vests to limit the number of long sleeves when layering on top. This will keep your arms from getting too bulky, and allows you to actually put move around normally!
- Alternate collars, mixing a crewneck with a collared shirt or turtleneck.
- Use a collared shirt to add a pop of color or pattern, and let it peek out at the neck, cuffs, and even around the waist.
- Either pop both collars, or fold the collars down together to keep it from being too messy around your neck.
- Use solid colors to break up the patterns. I typically alternate pattern and solid, but I don’t shy away from pattern-on-pattern. I just throw a solid in the mix to break it up some.
- Wear the largest piece on top, usually a vest or jacket
- I will usually pull my hair back if there are a lot of layers around my neck…this allows the clothes to shine, and keeps me from looking overwhelmed by clothes and hair.
- Leave the top layer open to allow the colors and patterns to show, and keep your midsection from looking too bulky.
In this outfit, I popped both collars, alternated solid and pattern, and cuffed the sleeves for an added layer at the wrist.
Okay, here’s another fun combo…this time, combining a tee, jacket, and of course, another vest!
I added the leopard belt for a little more pattern punch…when in doubt, stick with two patterns. Just vary the scales to keep it from being too busy. Both collars are popped, and I rolled the jacket sleeve a bit to allow the stripe to show through at the arm.
Since this jacket is so fitted, I could button it all the way and wear it like a shirt, too. This is seriously the perfect jean jacket!! I’m crazy about the wash, and the stretchy fit is perfect for year-round layering. And of course, it comes with amazing Prime shipping and service!
I started with the most fitted shirt, and layered up as the pieces got looser.
Fit Tip: I’m wearing XS in everything.
I own quite a few of these quilted puffer vests, but somehow didn’t have this great olive hue!? It’s the same color as a standard military jacket, and goes with virtually everything! It looks so cute with plaids, too.
I could build so many outfits using just these pieces…that’s the great thing about layering! Individually the pieces are fairly basic, but when worn together they make fun, stylish outfits. Pairing new and different combinations is a great way to stretch your wardrobe, as well!
Can you believe I found everything on Amazon?! I’m still giddy that J.Crew is available on Prime, and can’t wait for the new arrivals! See more of my outfit combinations with these great pieces here. And you can find all my J.Crew Mercantile finds in my Amazon shop for fast, easy shopping!
TOP FIVE AMAZON FINDS
- eBags Packing Cubes
- Softest Bed Sheets
- Collagen Peptides
- Accessories Charger Case
- Double USB Wall Charger
*Photos by the darling and talented Mary Summers. This post created in collaboration with Amazon Fashion and J.Crew, but all styles, tips, and Prime obsessions are my own. Thank you for supporting Hi Sugarplum sponsors!*