Happy Hump Day, friends. Funny that phrase kind of ran its course a few years ago, but it now seems more relevant than ever before! Making it past the week’s hump is definitely worth celebrating! #amIright?!
We started this lockdown with a lot of movie nights and card games, but we’ve officially made it to the ‘shave your head‘ point of quarantine! Mr. College Guy let his sister take the clippers to his hair last night, and he’s now sporting a new buzz cut!
It actually looks great on him, but I think this is an indicator that we’re running out of things to do at home! Either that, or this isolation invokes a new boldness. Our favorite thing is always to get outside, and we do it every chance we can. We load up all our sports balls and mitts, and head to the open land behind our neighborhood to let off steam, burn energy, and have fun together.
This nature preserve is actually the reason we moved to this house a few years ago… we loved the idea of being blocks away from so much open space and nature. We’ve always hiked and explored the area regularly, but are appreciating it in a whole new way now, and rarely a day goes by we aren’t there.
We run, play volleyball, throw the football and baseball, play with the dogs, hike, picnic… pretty much anything you can do outside, we’re doing it together!
Each of our wardrobes consist of two things lately… loungewear or activewear. Nordstrom has an incredible selection of each, and their free shipping has been clutch since we’re not able to pop in to our local store.
Little Miss and I are long-time fans of Zella, and both love their high-waist leggings for comfort and support. They also wash well and last for years!
Fit Tip: I size up one in workout tops, leggings are true to size.
The guys are actually more particular than you might think, and both have very specific things and fabrics they like. Mr. College Guy loves Champion hoodies, and has quite the collection of them (he wears them in all weather!?).
We just discovered these tees from 1901, one of my go-to Nordstrom house brands, and Mr. SP immediately ordered more colors. The fit and quality is incredible, especially for just $25! I miss browsing my local store, but appreciate the free shipping more than ever!
I’m looking for some fresh new things to do, so I asked y’all over on Instagram Stories how you’re having fun as a family (beyond the usual movies and game nights), and you had the BEST ideas!
- Set up the tent and camp outside
- Daily bike rides/walks
- Workout classes together
- Have a backyard campfire with s’mores and movies
- Try new recipes/cocktails
- Plant a garden
- Themed dinner nights – dress up to go with the theme, too!
- Neighborhood scavenger hunts
- Zoom dates with friends & extended family
- Ping pong on the dining room table
- Purging and cleaning every closet
- Play inside hide-and-seek (things get interesting when they’re older!)
- Build things out of discarded pallets/lumber/cardboard boxes
- Painting and other art projects
- Sidewalk chalk and chalk painting
- Make homemade ice cream
- Spa time with face masks, shoulder massages, and mini/pedis
- Build giant forts
- Explore historical neighborhoods in your town
- Watch movie series from start to finish, like Harry Potter, Hunger Games, & Marvel
- Deliver treats/flowers/groceries for high-risk and elderly neighbors
- Write a family bucket list for when this ends
- Blind taste tests of foods, drinks, etc
- Do a couch to 5k program
- Watch old home movies from when kids were little
- Switcheroo Dinner: dress like a different family member & act like them at dinner
One of you even hosted a prom at home for your high-school senior! That’s the sweetest thing ever, and certainly an incredible memory. So many great new ideas! I think Mr. SP might be up next in the buzz cut club… but hopefully the trend stops there, ha! Has anyone in your house done anything bold or unexpected during this safe-at-home time? It’s taking everything in me not to trim my bangs… but I figure at this point, I might as well let them grow out and see what I think!
I hope these tips sparked some new ideas for your family! It helps knowing we’re all in this together, don’t you think?
[More Posts to Inspire]
40 Things to Spark Joy for You & Others
Work-from-Home Three-Minute Makeup
Self-Care | Morning & Evening Skincare
Cozy & Cute Work-from-Home Outfits
Tips for WFH & Working with Your Spouse
G0-To Gadgets for Making Quarantine More Fun
*Photos taken by us and professionally edited by the darling Audrie Dollins. This post is created in collaboration with Nordstrom and ShopStyle, but all product selections, styling, and cabin fever is my own. Thank you for supporting Hi Sugarplum sponsors.*