It’s Monday, and I’m a blogger on a mission. I am determined to post the final reveal for Babygirl’s Room next week (before the paper scoops me)!! Which means I have to show you the final projects, then hopefully get some good pictures this weekend! (The paper won’t share photos, something about copyrights
blah blah blah.)
I wish I could say today’s project post was the last for the room, but things didn’t work out too well. And that doesn’t include the list of injuries I incurred in the process.
Let’s start from the beginning, shall we? I, like you probably, have a looooong list of bookmarked projects to “borrow” from other bloggers. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? Well, when the lovely Nichole posted her amazeball light fixture last year, I knew it would be mine someday.
|Parlour Home Blog|
When it came time to address Babygirl’s pathetic little ceiling fan, I decided to go with something fun and whimsy…after all, it is a little girl’s room. Sure I could just replace the entire fixture, but fans are necessary during a Texas Summer, and my goal is to make this dorkball fixture work!
Once the ceiling was painted a color similar to the fan blades, it became a bit less annoying. Or perhaps I’m just immune to it now?
I decided to lose the glass bowl cover and replace it with something fun…Nichole’s paper lantern!
Start with the supplies: $5 Ikea paper lantern, cheap pack of coffee filters and hot glue. Lots of it.
Looks harmless enough, right? Ha. Fold each coffee filter in half, then half again.
Then hot glue each filter directly to the lantern. Burn yourself. A lot.
Keep folding, gluing and burning yourself until the end of time. Or until you run out of filters. Here I am after 350.
That’s right, THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY! Darn you Nichole and your fabulous puffy cloud light fixture thingie! After defending your sanity to your concerned spouse, go buy more coffee filters. Fold, glue and burn some more. The outcome is fabulous and so worth it!
Then came time to
rig it up hang it. We took the glass cover off and used tie wraps to secure it to the frame of the fan.
|someone clean the fan please. thanks|
Unfortunately, as fabulous as it is, I think it’s a fail in Babygirl’s Room. As hard as I try to like it (because, damnit, I spent 1000 hours gluing 500 effing coffee filters to it!), I just don’t love it in her room.
It’s fun and whimsy (and brain-like according to my son), but I think the proportions of it to the fan are wrong.
It also feels too large and distracting from the rest of the room. The point was to make the light fixture cute, not the complete focus.
And to add insult to injury…or in this case, injury to insult….when I reached up to cut the tie wraps, the lantern fell with such force, that the metal pull cord flew up and clocked me in the eye! Try explaining that black eye at PTA! “Well see, I made this beast of a light fixture out of coffee filters and hot glue….”
I loved it so much I planned on finding another place for it, but the fall left more than my eye maimed.