Hello! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend! We are soaking up the heat and sunshine June has to offer, before August forces us inside! The interiors have taken a backseat while we spruce up the outside. So far, the Front Porch got some much needed TLC, and the backyard has a new fence, and a sweet new music system. When I spotted this great outdoor fabric, I decided to whip up some pillows to make the backyard even more comfy.
Two things I learned when ‘whipping up’ these six pillows:
- This ‘No-Sew’ business is for the birds, I have got to learn to sew! Sure hem tape is great if you aren’t a sewer, but I’m convinced this method is more
a pain in the asstime consuming.
- You can take frugality too far! More on that in a minute.
I used the same method to make the outdoor pillows as I did these, but left out the piping. The pillow inserts are poly-filled with polypropylene covers, so
mostly suitable for outdoors. I picked them up on sale for about $4 each. Outdoor fabric and Steam-A-Seam round out the supplies. You can use whichever hem tape you like, I prefer this brand because one side is sticky. TWSS
Place the hem tape around the perimeter of your fabric, cut to your pillow’s size, leaving one side open to insert the form later. Notice the placement of the corner pieces, this helps them to be more rounded when you turn it right side out. Place the second piece of fabric on top and iron according to the package directions. I let mine cool overnight, just to be sure the bond is set.
Then you turn your covers right side out, and insert the form in the open side. This is where my
cheapness frugality goes to far. For some reason, I’m the worst with paint and fabric….I buy the smallest possible amount??? Which only ends up costing me more in the long run. Note to self: spend an extra few bucks and round your amount up dummy!
To close the fourth side, you typically turn both ends under, insert the hem tape and iron in place. In my case, I had cut the fabric pieces so small (to get the maximum number of pillows out of the minimum amount of fabric) that I only had about a 1/4-inch of fabric to work with! And I was looking at SIX pillow covers cut like that! I did what any good DIYer does,
screamed threw things cursed rigged it up and made it work.
In the end, they turned out really cute. I used a different fabric on each side so I could switch them up for multiple looks.
I love to mix-and-match the two prints, and they make all the chairs more comfy and colorful.
|No we aren’t Sanford & Sons, my daughter likes to play with empty bottles. Hence the fabric softener in the backyard.|
Look at that technique! I’ve got one more really great outdoor addition to show you, then it’s time for the FINAL project in Babygirl’s Room!