Happy Tuesday, friends! Thanks for all the great feedback on yesterday’s Tips for At-Home Dermaplaning post. I can’t wait to hear what you think after trying for yourself.
From working to exercise to self-care, we’re doing a lot more at home these days. Okay, so pretty much everything is at home… including date night! Mr. SP and I have been a little off for the last few weeks, and I finally realized it’s because we haven’t been good about finding intentional time with each other.
Sure we’re around each other all day, everyday… but we aren’t carving out time to be alone and really check in with one another. Used to be, that would happen at the end of the week, tucked in the corner of our favorite restaurant. Or snuggled up at the movie theatre. Or even just at home while the kids were out.
But now each day blends in to the one before, and truthfully, we walked around a little shell-shocked for the first month! Not to mention, the kids are never out! So it’s no wonder we’ve been at odds! I realized we need to bring back date night… or rather, we need to recreate date night while staying home.
We both love being outdoors, and fortunately this quarantine coincides with one of Texas’ nicest times of the year! On days we finish work a little earlier, I’ll throw together a charcuterie and we’ll sit outside for a bit before dinner and family time begins.
We’ll catch up on each other’s day, but try to avoid using the time to schedule and plan for the week.
Putting on a fun top and a little makeup makes it feel more like an actual date, too. I found this flirty tank at Express, and love the ties on the shoulder and the double v-neck in front and back.
Mr. SP has been shopping Express for classic oxfords and dress shirts for years. The Classic Oxford is a soft cotton that launders well, and has an easy, casual fit. (The Slim Wrinkle-Resistant shirts are a favorite under suits and jackets.)
Mr. College Guy gets all his suits and dress shirts at Express, too. He loves the Extra Slim for a trim, modern fit.
Last weekend we ordered pizza for the kids and banished them from coming downstairs for a few hours. We put on a fun playlist, cooked dinner together, and enjoyed time alone on the patio for a few hours.
I asked y’all on Instagram Stories how you’re staying connected with your spouse and finding ways to have date night at home, and you had some great ideas!
- Coffee dates in the early morning (walk to a local shop for takeout if you’ve got one)
- Picnic in the yard or park
- Eat in the formal dining room together instead of the kitchen… and on your fancy plates
- Recreate Movies in the Park… set up a palette in the yard and watch a movie on our laptop
- Takeout dinner eaten on a park bench (or even in the back of your car)
- Go for a drive, bonus if you pack snacks
- Watch the sunset from a new spot (top level of a parking garage seems to be a fave spot for many!)
- Cover wine bottles and have a wine-tasting
- Sunset walks through the neighborhood… and hold hands!
- Get dressed up
- Happy hour on the patio
- S’mores by an outdoor fire (or even on the floor in front of your fireplace)
- Lunch dates in the car… park in the sunshine and roll down the windows
- Play 2-person games (we like Gin Rummy)
- Sign up for a virtual cooking class together
- Tackle a project around the house
- Stream a new movie or concert and actually snuggle on the couch
- Do an online workout together
- Tailgate date somewhere with a view… chairs, bluetooth speaker, and a cooler of food and drinks
The top response was to get dressed up… or least, dress like you would for a typical date night! I rounded up some fun and flirty Date Night tops for us…
one. Tie Strap Tank // two. Tiered Ruffle Top three. Lace Sleeve Tee
four. Puff Sleeve Blouse // five. Lace Trim Cami // six. Circle Drop Earrings
seven. Lace Peplum Cami // eight. Square Neck Tank
nine. Split Neck Blouse // ten. Layered Necklace
Interestingly enough, just as many of you asked for the list of date ideas as those who gave them… which tells me we’re all struggling a little to stay connected with our spouses! Relationships take work and dedication in normal circumstances, so give each other added grace during this season. It will be over eventually, and I promise every household is feeling the tension!
So tell me, how are you staying connected with your spouse these days? Do you have any more fun date night in ideas?
*Photos taken by our son and professionally edited by Audrie Dollins. This post created in collaboration with Express and ShopStyle, but all product selections, styling, and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Hi Sugarplum sponsors!*