* Everyone washes their hands with soap and warm water, for a minimum of 20 seconds as soon as they get home, and before eating. That’s about the length of time it takes to sing the ABCs.
A few months after Babygirl was born, I was a typical run-down, sleep-deprived, deliriously-in-love new mom. Oh, and I had mastitis, so the fever and chills of that didn’t help with my overall exhaustion. So when my head started to hurt, I assumed it was just another piece of the postpartem joy puzzle. But the headache grew, until two weeks later my doctor sent me straight to the hospital suspecting stroke.
Thank God that wasn’t the case, but a spinal tap confirmed I had meningitis. That good news landed me in the hospital for four days, totally sedated, until they were able to determine it was Viral (the kind you can get over), not Spinal (the kind that can kill you). A representative with the Center for Disease Control checked on me daily, but wasn’t able to tell us how in the world, or where in the world, I contracted it.
My run-down state likely made my body more susceptible, but the fact remains the initial germ was picked up through something I touched. All of a sudden, I was uber-aware of just how many objects we touch, all handled by others before us. *shudder* Which has turned me in to a flaming bit of a germaphobe…but can you blame me?!?
We now have strict rules in our house to help fight germs….especially right now with the flu running rampant!
* Always cough and sneeze into your elbow, instead of your hand.
* No one is allowed in their beds without first showering, and putting on clean pajamas. I’ve heard my kids freak if a friend gets on their bed in street clothes….music to this
neurotic mama’s ears!
* Adhere to bedtimes that keep them well-rested and their immune systems strong.
* And the biggest preventative measure we take, is using Clorox Disinfecting Wipes and Clorox Clean-up Cleaner with Bleach on most every surface…especially doorknobs, light switches, security alarm panel, faucets, remotes and game controllers. When used properly, they kill 99.9% of the germs that cause colds and flu.
Granted we still get an occasional illness, but these measures bring me some peace of mind that I’m helping to protect myself, and my family. But enough of the icky sickness and germ talk, let’s get to the good stuff!! (You didn’t think I’d tell that awful story for nothing, did you?!)
Win a $1,000 Visa Gift Card!!!
Visit Clorox.com to learn more about the importance of disinfecting, and other tips for keeping you and your family happy and healthy.
*Use as directed
Which are your favorite Clorox cleaning products that help keep you and your family healthy? Tell me in a comment, and you will garner an automatic entry into a sweepstakes where one participant has a chance to win a $1,000 Visa Gift Card.
Good luck, little ducks!