Good Monday morning! Are some of you lucky ducks off today?! I am NOT…but I’m too excited about the progress made in Babygirl’s Room this weekend to let Monday bum me out. The ceiling was painted, AND the final steps of the faux-crown molding were completed! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I can’t wait to share it with you.
Today I’m showing you another inexpensive DIY artwork project I did for her room. When I spotted this photo from Lonny, I knew I wanted to include a large photo in the new design.
and these three nailhead trim cards.
I thought the room might be getting a little frame heavy (not to mention the gallery wall I’m planning!). I looked into having a photo canvas made, but that would have run me $100 or more….so I made my own!
First thing I needed was a 16×24 poster print, so I went with Poster Brain after reading many amazing reviews about them. And they did not disappoint!! I simply uploaded my photo file and a few days later my poster arrived.
The only other supplies I needed were an inexpensive canvas from the craft store, spray adhesive and strong glue.
1. Trim the poster to the dimensions of your canvas. My photo was the same width, but taller. I wanted it to wrap around the sides of the canvas, so I left an extra inch on the top and bottom.
2. Spray the back of the poster print liberally with adhesive, then center on the canvas. Smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles and turn face down and allow to dry flat.
3. Fold the photo overlap around the sides of the canvas. My spray adhesive was not strong enough to hold the thick photo paper down, so I ran a strip of FabriTac along the edges. Painter’s tape held everything in place while it dried overnight. I think the photo would have wrapped easier had I slightly scored the backside along the fold line first.
It’s lightweight, so it’s safe to prop on top of the Fancy Pants Highboy…..here’s the shot that makes my heart race:
I never get tired of looking at that cheery, yellow treasure!
The photo canvas is layered with a Provence poster mounted on foam core board, and a tissue puff ball. So nothing painful if they were they to topple over (especially once we enter the drawer slamming phase)!
I’m am thrilled with the project, but mostly with the quality and price of the poster print. Want to make your own photo canvas too…or enlarge your favorite photo into a poster? Poster Brain is giving away one free 24″ x 36″ poster, and free shipping to everyone who enters!
2. Like Hi Sugarplum on Facebook.
4. Follow Hi Sugarplum on Twitter.
Update:: The Free Shipping code will be announced Saturday with the winner! Check back then because the code will only be valid for 10 days!